Washington Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your expenses and injuries.
- Even if motorcyclists crash due to problems with road conditions, they can still file a lawsuit against whoever is in charge of the road.
- Motorcycle injuries tend to be much more severe than car accident injuries, so it is especially important to have a lawyer on your side to fight for the compensation you deserve after catastrophic injuries.
- Motorcycle fatalities in Washington have been increasing, with 2022 reaching a height that has not been seen in the state since 1982.
- Collecting evidence after an accident, like getting the contact information of other motorists involved and taking photos, can help supply your case with a wealth of useful evidence.
- Insurance companies and opposing lawyers will fight against any claims to some extent, so you need someone to fight for your rights in return, especially if your case is brought up against a government municipality.
Have You Been Involved in a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycles give you greater freedom and connection to the road than any other vehicle. But that freedom comes with a cost. A motorcycle accident can cause devastating and life-threatening injuries. Without the caged protection you would normally have in a car, there is not much separating you from the road when riding a motorcycle. That is why motorcycle accidents often lead to serious injuries.
The recovery time after a motorcycle injury can be significant due to severe injuries, so it is especially important to receive the compensation you need to cover all your expenses. We understand that trying to work through the legal system when you just want to focus on recovery is frustrating, which is why our motorcycle accident lawyers can help deal with your claim on your behalf. Meanwhile, you can focus on getting better.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident or lost a loved one to a wrongful death in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Our law firm in Moses Lake and Spokane, WA, will fight for the maximum payout for your pain and suffering. Call 509-495-1247 today to discuss the details of your motorcycle accident and receive counsel from a personal injury attorney in Moses Lake or Spokane, WA.
Why Clients Choose McPartland Law Offices
At McPartland Law Offices, you can expect a communicative attorney-client relationship alongside personal injury lawyers who will listen to your side and fight for the compensation you deserve. We have been representing clients from all over Washington since 2012, including bikers, and we have won more than $50 million in compensation for them. Take a look at what some of our previous clients had to say about our services.
“Excellent all the way around! I am very appreciative of what Bryce did for me and my family.” — Scott S.
“McPartland Law Office is great! Everyone will work tirelessly to help you & accomplish whatever needs to be done! Highly recommend using McPartland Law.” — Margaret S.
“Excellent service. Best attorney in town.” — Kyle S.
Key Factors About Motorcycle Accidents in Washington State
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Our personal injury attorneys will put decades of experience to work for you. We’ve seen countless motorcycle accident cases and helped clients receive compensation for serious injuries like:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Bone fractures
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
Don’t suffer financial hardship on top of your already difficult physical recovery. Arrange for a free consultation in Moses Lake or Spokane today.
Pain, Suffering, and Expenses After an Accident
The expenses after a motorcycle accident can be significant, so it is helpful to get an idea of all the financial burdens you may be facing to potentially include in a personal injury claim.
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Vehicle repairs
- Rental car
- Compromised earning capacity
The Mental Trauma
In addition to the physical suffering, a motorcycle accident tends to come with its own fair share of mental trauma too. When talking to an insurance company, mental trauma can be particularly difficult to seek compensation for since there is no easy way to quantify it. How much should you be compensated for your physical injuries? You can give them a number from your medical bills. How much should you be compensated for your mental anguish? That is a bit tougher to calculate. You will likely want to get an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer on your side who has experience winning compensation for non-economic damage.
At our law firm, we understand that the emotional damage from an accident can be just as severe as physical injuries, even if it is harder to see. Motorcycle riders who suffer accidents can be left permanently scarred or disfigured. Victims could develop PTSD or even lose functionality in one of their limbs. In wrongful death cases, they could lose companionship and even meaning in life after the death of a loved one. All of these pains should be accounted for, which is why we are also willing to help with compensation for non-economic damages.
Collecting Evidence for Motorcycle Accident Claims
If you are able to after a motorcycle accident, you should try to collect the following evidence to help your case.
- Contact information of anyone involved in the accident and witnesses
- Photos of the accident scene showing vehicle positioning, skid marks, road conditions, property damage, etc.
- Call emergency services if needed to establish a police report and medical record
- Photos of your injuries after they happened
- Photos of your injuries as they are healing
- Surveillance footage of the accident if available as soon as possible
- Request 911 tapes if you were not the person to call 911
Motorcycle Accident Statistics From the Washington State Traffic Safety Commission
Motorcycle accidents can be particularly deadly, as the Washington Traffic Safety Commission has demonstrated with their analysis.
- The rate of motorcycle accidents has increased significantly, with 131 fatal crashes in 2022. (The last time the number was that high was 1982).
- Most fatal motorcycle crashes occur in July on county roads.
- Motorcycle accidents are most common on weekends from 3 pm to 9 pm.
- Most motorcycle accidents involve a driver being impaired and a multi-vehicle crash.
Distracted driving is not quite as impactful as impaired driving, but it has still contributed to a significant amount of motorcycle accident fatalities.
More Resources on Motorcycle Accident Injury Compensation
- You Have a Right to Seek Reimbursement From Your Insurer: Read this article to stay updated on your rights in Washington regarding your insurance company.
- Brain and Head Injury Attorney: Serious injuries are more common with motorcycle accidents, so take a look at this article to discover how a lawyer can help with brain and head injury cases and seek compensation for medical treatment.
- Motor Vehicle Injury Cases: Motor vehicle cases are a special kind of personal injury case, and you will need a lawyer who is specifically experienced with vehicle accidents.
- Washington Statute of Limitations Guide for Car Accidents: You only have a certain amount of time to file a car accident claim, so check this article out to help avoid missing any deadlines.
- Compensation for Pain and Suffering Damages in Washington: Pain and suffering are calculated differently from more easily quantifiable damages, so take a look at how Washington state handles it.
What to Look for in Your Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
You will want a motorcycle accident lawyer who can help you pursue the fair compensation you deserve, so here are a few factors to look out for:
- Experience specifically in motorcycle cases rather than solely standard vehicle accidents.
- Recognition among the local legal community, so insurance companies take them seriously.
- Approachability and accessibility that allows you frequent communication when you like regarding your case.
- Legal advice and guidance rather than pressure to make whatever decision would be easiest for them.
- A compassionate approach that understands how difficult it is for motorcycle accident victims to deal with the aftermath.
What Is It Like to be in a Motorcycle Accident?
No one can truly understand what it is like to be in a motorcycle accident until they have been in one themselves. Even so, the stories from survivors can be particularly heart-shattering, like this account from Bill H.
The kind of protective gear you wear while riding plays a massive role in your experience during an accident. With nothing to protect your body from the pavement as part of the vehicle, all you have is your gear. A solid jacket, helmet, boots, gloves, etc. can go a long way, while more typical clothes will not help.
Bill describes sliding down the road in jeans as being similar to being tied to a table and having a belt sander used on you. In a motorcycle accident, jeans will only offer protection for about three feet of sliding. After that, they are likely to be torn apart, leaving your bare leg directly contacting the asphalt. T-shirts, on the other hand, cannot handle any sliding and will shred from the friction almost immediately.
People who have already been in an accident cannot change the past, but those who are looking to be as safe as possible should always outfit themselves with proper protective gear before riding.
Your Questions Answered by a Motorcycle Accident Injury Attorney
What Is the Most Common Injury in a Motorcycle Accident?
The most common injury in a motorcycle accident is road rash. While this may first seem like just some scrapes and bruises, it can be much worse if not properly treated with immediate medical attention. Depending on the severity, road rash can lead to permanent damage to your body, from skin infections to nerve damage in the affected area. In addition to road rash, broken bones and burns are also common, and that can come with disfigurement in some cases.
How Long Does It Take to Heal From a Motorcycle Accident?
The length of time it takes to heal from a motorcycle accident depends on the severity of your injuries. In some cases, you may make a full recovery in a matter of months, while other scenarios take years. Some victims of motorcycle accidents never make a complete recovery from their injuries and have to live with them for the rest of their lives, even with proper medical care.
What If the Accident Was Caused by a Road Defect or Hazard?
If the accident was caused by a road defect or hazard, you can still file a claim to seek compensation for your injuries. However, instead of targeting a negligent driver, you would target whoever is in charge of maintaining the road, such as a local government or potentially even the Washington State Department of Transportation. These cases tend to be more complex, so you will certainly want a lawyer on your side to approach the issue with confidence. At our law firm, we have dealt with several lawsuits against municipalities for dangerous roadways and unsafe intersections, so we are not afraid to go up against the government.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Motorcycle Accidents in Washington State?
You have up to three years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim for a motorcycle accident in Washington state in accordance with the Revised Code of Washington or RCW. However, keep in mind that there are some exceptions that could apply to your case.
- The discovery rule dictates that the three-year timer does not begin until the injury is discovered, though this often happens the same day as the accident.
- If the claimant in a motorcycle accident case is under the age of 18, the three-year limit does not begin until they are 18 years old. This means that anyone under 18 has until their 21st birthday to file.
- If accident victims are mentally incompetent or incapacitated after the accident (regardless of whether or not the motorcycle collision caused the incapacitation), the three-year limit does not begin counting until their competencies return.
Do I Need to Hire a Local Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Yes, you should hire a motorcycle accident attorney near you because having a lawyer local to your area will give you an advantage. Local lawyers are going to be well-versed in and experienced with the traffic laws of your specific area. Since traffic laws can vary from place to place, this kind of specialization can greatly help your case.
At our law firm, we help people in the Moses Lake and Spokane areas.
Contact McPartland Law Offices If You Have Been Injured in a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been injured in a Washington motorcycle accident, McPartland Law Offices can help with your case. We understand how difficult three years can be to navigate the legal process during a time when you just want to focus on recovery. Our experienced Washington motorcycle accident attorneys can take care of the hard parts for you. Get in touch with our legal team today to learn about your legal options by calling 509-495-1247 or filling out our online contact form for a free consultation and free case evaluation.